I get asked which Novolac Epoxy is the best one? That isn’t a good question. A better question is which Epoxy Novolac is best for your specific job. To figure that out you must understand the difference.
There are 4 primary Novolac Epoxies and a brief description of each:
- Product #235 – Novolac Tile Grout a highly chemical resistant, industrial grade, Novolac epoxy grout for ceramic tile, quarry tile, brick pavers, and stone. Epoxy.com Product #235 Chemical Resistant Tile Grout and Adhesive is supplied in pre-packaged kits containing resin, hardener, and mineral fillers that produce a dense, uniform seal. Typical applications for Epoxy.com Product #235 Chemical Resistant Tile Grout and Adhesive require superior resistance to thermal shock, chemicals, and heavy traffic found in the harsh environments of dairies, bakeries, meat packers, breweries, canneries, bottlers, distilleries, and pharmaceutical plants.
- Product #630 Novolac Coating/Mortar Binder – a 100% solids epoxy Novolac ideal for harsh chemical and solvent resistant applications. It is ideal for use as a troweled mortar, slurry binder, and coating for concrete and steel in extremely corrosive areas where resistance to 98% sulfuric acid or other strong caustics is needed. Product #630 Novolac Coating/Mortar Binder is ideal for use as a protective coating for concrete and steel in the extremely corrosive areas of chemical plants and pulp mills secondary containment areas, water and waste treatment, and gas and electric utilities. A conductive version Product #630 Conductive Chemical Resistant Conductive Flooring is also available.
- Product #632 Novolac Control Joint Filler is a 100% solids flexible Novolac epoxy Chemical Resistant joint filler for saw-cut joints of concrete slabs on grade.
- Product #633 Novolac Coating is a 100% solids epoxy Novolac coating ideal for harsh chemical and solvent resistant applications. It is used in secondary containment, solvent storage, pump pads, trenches, and other high exposure areas. It is ideal for use as a protective coating for concrete and steel in the extremely corrosive areas of chemical plants and pulp mills secondary containment areas, water and waste treatment, and gas and electric utilities. Product #633 Novolac Coating is commonly used as a seal coat for Epoxy MORTAR SYSTEMS where chemical resistant performance is required.
A couple of the these are simple:
- If you are looking for a chemical resistant or high temperature resistant tile grout. Then you want Product #235.
- If you want a joint filler in a floor that needs to have high chemical resistance you want Product #632 Novolac Control Joint Filler.
Product #630 Novolac vs Product #633 Novolac is where the differences become more refined. These two products are very similar to each other. In some cases it is possible that either product will work. Here are the differences:
- 630 is more flexible than #633 Novolac Epoxy
- 630 Epoxy Novolac in clear stays clearer longer than #633
- 630 makes an excellent slurry but still can be used as a coating
- 633 Novolac Epoxy is slightly more chemical resistant than Product #630
- 633 Epoxy Novolac will resist higher temperatures than Product #630
- 633 Is an excellent coating but can be used as a mortar as well.
Please address your questions to Epoxy.com Technical support at 352-533-2167 or email me at email@example.com